The City of Edgewood is a residential community, located in the heart of the Orlando urban area (about three miles south of downtown Orlando), along the shores of some of Central Florida’s most beautiful lakes—Conway, Gatlin, Jennie Jewel, Jessamine and Mary. The origins of Edgewood can be traced back to 1881 when the South Florida Railroad constructed a line from Orlando to Tampa passing through the area. Construction of a road parallel to the railroad in 1916, now known as Orange Avenue, opened the area for industrial development related to the railroad, residences, and support services. Unprecedented growth occurred during the early 1920s resulting in a decision to incorporate. Between 1924 and 1925, the families and community leaders living in the area divided the community leading to the formation of three separate towns: Edgewood, Pine Castle and Belle Isle.